Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Weekly Food Challenge: A Quest for Fun New Flavors





Hello all:
I am obsessed with food and flavor.  I literally dream about recipes and take great pleasure in going to different little stores to find the best ingredients to put in front of my family.  So, I have recently joined one of those "bring the farm to your door" type of memberships.. Anyhow, I get a surprise basket weekly, and sometimes I chose to do it biweekly.  I also go to a local fresh produce market to find items I would not normally cook with.  The idea for me is to challenge myself creatively and awaken my tastebuds to things that have never danced upon their surface before.  So, as I create new little dishes I will add images and recipes to share with you.  Here's what's hanging in this Italian Mama's kitchen this week:


Turnips (yikes, I have never cooked, tasted, or even touched a turnip.... not quite sure what's going to happen with these little guys)



Baby Bok Choy ( um yeah.... ) 


Red Cabbage
Avocados
Fresh Lemons and Limes
Cara Cara Oranges
Fresh Raspberries
Carrots
Spanish Onions
Shallots
Poblano Peppers
Cubanelle Peppers
Habaneros
Fresh Herbs:  Basil, Flat Leaf Parsley, Cilantro
Fingerling Yams
Bell Peppers          
Mini Belle Peppers
Rainbow Chard
Fresh Spinach
Butternut Squash






My mind is racing with ideas... however, I do not have enough time in a day or enough people to eat all of my experiments....  Now this just includes my produce.... I have received a couple of Organic Wine deliveries and purchased some other items to cook with, like Anchovy Paste and cubed pork, feta cheese, and Queso Fresco.  I begin tonight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment